24 June 2010

I'm in London still


Arriving in London had a funny feeling for me, it felt like I'd gone back to the town that I grew up in. Everything was familiar and yet seemed like it came from a distant memory. I caught the train out to near where I used to live to see the girls that I lived with in their new house. All my movements were instinctive - I didn't even have to think about which way I needed to turn or which tube line I needed or which stop I needed to get off at. Walking through London Bridge - I weaved through the crowd like a regular train catcher, as I was riding up the escalaters, I even looked over to see if the Cornish Pasty shop was open and was truely disappointed when it wasn't - it used to be my staple breakfast, eaten on the train.

We stayed at the beautiful Covent Garden Hotel. It was so central that you only had to spin around and you had pretty much seen everything. It was fabulously decorated and very comfy and posh.



This is our wallpaper.





Our first day we met up with the lovely Tanya who had, in her role of London Tour Guide, planned our day to make the most of the sunshine. So we walked up to Regent's Park and wandered around soaking up the warmth. We found the Queen Mother's rose garden and OMG - it's fantastic!




How lovely is my Jenny?

How lovely is Tanya?

Answers to both questions: a lot!


Regent's Park has a canal running along the top of it that goes from Camden to Little Venice - Did you know that? I never knew that it even existed! We walked all the way along the canal and had a fabulous lunch at a pub in Little Venice whilst we rested our very tired and very weary and only a little bit blistered feet.



It didn't stop us on day 2 though from going shopping on Oxford Street and then indulging in a very yummy "high tea" at the Haymarket Hotel. Sandwiches, cakes, scones, mini tartlets, tea, champers..... we rolled out of there very nicely and had just enough strength to make it to a West End Show - Sweet Charity.

Cheers!

It was a very whirlwind trip to London - again. There are definite elements that I miss about living there - mostly the people, Cornish Pasties and oddly enough the trains!






1 comment:

  1. I remember our lovely day with Tanya at the awesome pie shop (that closed down?). I love cornish pasties and trains too - and I have caught a train to the Avon Valley from Perth and there is the Indian Pacific, the Prospector AND the Armadale-Perth line, a personal favourite. We do have trains Shoully!

    ReplyDelete