12 July 2010

Mine's Bigger Than Yours!

There is a woman who was on the ship who has stalked us since disembarkation - same tour, same flight to London, same Qantas lounge. She's Australian. From Sydney. And she's extremely ........ what's the word for being patriotic about your own state? "I've been around and we know that Sydney is the best harbour - I mean it's just beautiful." Jen, who only ever 'flies through' Sydney in the RV responds, "Oh Yes, it's is pretty, but we don't stop, we normally drive through, it's a bit busy for us." To which this woman replies.... now, I say 'replies' but what I mean is 'talked over' - "it's the best harbour by far."

Now, I don't want anyone to get me wrong. Having lived in Sydney for a few years and thoroughly enjoyed all it had to offer (I even met 2 of my favourite friends there - you know who you are) I know how pretty it is, however I get a little bit uncomfortable with the "my state is better than your state" conversations. I like Sydney, but my leg isn't going to fall off if I don't care about the harbour's popularity ratings and if I do get on board I feel unnecessarily guilty for being disloyal to WA and then what about the newly adopted state of Victoria? Where do I draw the line? Where do my allegiances lie?

So whilst avoiding this woman in the Qantas lounge a very tall, blonde, quite attractive young man about 20 years old sauntered across the room. It was his height that first caught my eye, 2nd was his cute face, 3rd - his buff arms in the chesty bonds he was wearing. My eyes dart up again and note the very cool over sized headphones laying loosely around his neck. Eyes down again and this is where Jen and I fumbled for a camera of something whilst both simultaneously laughing in horror and looking away but being drawn back o the wrongness - the boy's chesty Bonds singlet was tucked into his boxer shorts (blue check) and the reason we know this is because his jeans were a good 10-15 cms below the waistband of the boxers. You all know the look people. Sure, it's out there, but it doesn't make it right in fact it's, as Jo from Super Nanny says "unasseptable".

Honestly, where has the Qantas lounge prestige gone?

No comments:

Post a Comment